Friday, April 11, 2008

Cabbage and Chicken Soup


Hi Ladies...

So I have been on the healthy cooking tip lately, mostly as venture to assist my weight management goals as well as to ease my hefty spending on dining out. I have tried a few recipes that are truly delicious and easy to prepare. Thus I wanted to share with you lovelies...expect new recipes from me every week!!!

Please note: I am not vegetarian so not all my shared recipes will be veggie friendly, however there are exchange options on the bottom of each recipe for veggie opt-ins

Enjoy =)>

Cabbage and Chicken Soup:
I made this dish on Wednesdays, I was feeling a bit under the weather and soup was in order. It had a very robust taste due to the bay leave and caraway seeds.

DID YOU KNOW:
Cabbage contains significant amounts glutamine, an amino acid, which has anti-inflammatory properties.

Ingredients

  • 4 cup(s) water
  • 3 cup(s) broth, chicken, fat-free, salt-free
  • 2 cup(s) tomato(es), chopped
  • 1/2 stalk(s) celery, chopped
  • 4 onion(s), green, chopped with tops
  • 1 potato(es), peeled and diced
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon thyme
  • 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
  • 3 cup(s) cabbage, shredded
  • 1 cup(s) chicken, cooked, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoon sugar

Preparation

1. In a large soup pot, combine the water, broth, tomatoes, celery, onion, potato, bay leaf, salt, thyme, and caraway seeds.

2. Simmer for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Add the cabbage, chicken, lemon juice, and sugar. Remove the bay leaf and serve.

Nutritional Info (Per serving):
Calories: 81, Saturated Fat: 1g, Sodium: 526mg, Dietary Fiber: 2g, Total Fat: 2g, Carbs: 9g, Sugars: 4g, Cholesterol: 16mg, Protein: 7g
Exchanges: Vegetable: 2, Lean Meat: 1
Carb Choices: 0.5

No comments: