Monday, August 9, 2010

The XX at Summerstage



Ladies Lotto was on the scene last night to catch two female-singer indie bands take on Central Park's Summerstage.

Chairlift opened for The XX, breaking out songs without a lot of hooks but their super catchy hit Bruises was a definite crowd-pleaser. The line "I tried to do handstands for you, but every time I fell for you" will easily be stuck in my head for the next few days. If more of their tunes sounded like this one, I might have paid more attention to their set.

For those who haven't heard of The XX, they hail from London and are one of the biggest indie sensations of the last year since the release of their debut record last August. An instrumental intro welcomed The XX onto the stage followed by them playing the instrumental opener for their album. They then went straight into their hit single Crystrallized. Following was the emotional Heart Skipped a Beat which my concert buddy proclaimed as her jam. Next came the song with my favorite The XX lyric "I think I'm losing where you end and I begin." The title of this one is Basic Space and it definitely got me swaying along with the hipster-filled crowd.

I would suggest seeing them live for yourself, I think it was better than the recorded album titled "xx." Live, the builds and tempo changes were much more prominent. I wasn't sure if their quiet, somewhat shy sound would be able to fill such a large outdoor space, but I was pleasantly surprised with the full sound the songs end in after the crescendo. You can catch them back in New York at United Palace on October 2nd and if you're not in New York, check out their full tour schedule on their Myspace.

No comments: