Monday, April 12, 2010

Pregnant on the Frontline


Journalist Elizabeth Rubin (pictured above) went to the Afghanistan's frontline to cover war - 4 months pregnant. She recently wrote about her experience -
"I never thought I'd write a personal story about being a war correspondent. It seemed so beside the point, so much less important than the story I was reporting. Some of my closest friends are photographers and writers who've worked in war zones, and whenever we'd get questions like "What's it like to be a woman and work in Afghanistan or Iraq?" we'd roll our eyes. It was an attitude, for sure, but one we were proud of...

How could a woman, particularly in the military, not understand why I would have kept my pregnancy to myself? Is it true that the toughest adversary for women is still other women? I may be extracting too much out of a simple anecdote, but it was enough to make me want to tell the story. One reason was visceral: I wanted to get even with her. The other is more complicated."
Read the full article here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/apr/11/afghanistan-pregnant-war-female-embedded

Any thoughts about this? Please leave your comments here!

No comments: