Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The Most Painful Pleasure

Hello Ladies,

Its been awhile but for good reason. On Wednesday, October 15th at 6:21am I gave birth to my son, Kamel Leon Kameron Bryant at Roosevelt Hospital. And yes it was painful.

The contractions began the previous Thursday, its what they call early labor. I called my midwife, Chris, and she suggested I take a hot bath/shower and a benadryl and the contractions will slow down. This really worked. Fast forward to Tuesday, October 14th. I had intentions on going to work until I woke up that morning with some serious contractions. I had an appointment with Chris that afternoon but I called her anyway. She told me to come in around noon. In the meantime I called my boyfriend, bestfriend and mother and told them I was in labor. I went to my mother's house because she lives closer to the hospital and Chris' office. I took a hot bath and that really helped me relax.

As I waited for Chris to get into the office I had my bloody show, the spot of blood that happens when you are in labor. I also threw up for the first time during my pregnancy. Luckily I was able to eat, its a myth when doctors tell you not to eat. But I really couldn't hold anything down. Finally I went to Chris' office and she confirmed what I knew but was not ready to admit, I was in labor. From that point its just a waiting game. Its too early to go to the birthing center and if I was there, they would just send me home and that's what I did. I told my bestfriend I would call her when I was ready again. And my mother went home because we got into an argument. I only wanted positive, understanding, and patient people around me. Plus I was getting bitchy by the hour.

Around 6 I went back to Chris' office to see if I had dilated some. Yeah, to 1 cm. Geesh! By this time I was in active labor. The contractions were increasing in strength and intensity. Still too early to go the the birthing center. We decided to go to my boyfriend's brother house and into the bath I went again. This was the most relaxing thing. I had about 6 more hours before I could go to the birthing center.

Midnight arrived and we made our way to the birthing center. For the next 6 hours I went from the bed to the jacuzzi tub. My water was broken because I was not moving along. Note: this makes the contractions stronger and closer together. I went from anger to frustration to sadness and finally to content. After the final vaginal check up Chris told me, I would have to move to labor and delivery because Kamel decided he wanted to do number 2 inside of me. This is a sign of distress for the baby. At this point I really didn't care anymore, I just wanted it to be over and done with. So many times I said to my boyfriend I couldn't take it anymore. He would sarcastically ask me if I wanted the drugs and they tell me I didn't really want the drugs. He was right! My bestfriend would encourage me and tell me how great I was doing, even if I didn't feel that way.

In labor and delivery they put me on the continuous fetal monitor. Now, if you don't know this "monitor" actually makes your contractions worse and at times it can be harmful to the baby. But thankfully, I was not on long. I told them I had to push and Chris let me go into a comfortable position, laying on my left side with my right leg up. After 3 or 4 pushes he was out.

Kamel was 6lbs 5oz and 20 inches long. And he is the second whitest, black baby I had ever seen. If I didn't push him out myself I would have wonder who's white baby was this.

If ever you are in the hunt for a great midwife I would recommend Christiane McCloskey. She was great. I could not have gone through this with out some key people and I would like to thank them: Of course, my boyfriend, he was so patient and understanding and I am sure he will have carpal tunnel syndrome from all the massaging he did that day; Mecca, my bestfriend, she was encouraging and patient; Chris, she knows her stuff and is very honest and patient. Notice a continuous theme: Patience. This is key for any woman during labor, patience from others and yourself.

Labor is something that no matter how much detail I give, if you haven't experienced it you will never know what it feels like. I will never complain about cramps again. And to think he started off as this little cell. Amazing. I can only describe the labor as "intense." I am glad I was still able to have a natural birth even with the slight change at the end. But like all mother's say, it was worth it.

Pictures to come...

Lenox Davis Out.

2 comments:

tstjames said...

Congratulations Lenox, that's amazing!
October 15th is my birthday too, so I guarantee happiness and success for your son (just be ready for a stubborn, sometimes indecisive, picky child... but those are charming traits, right?).

Best of luck,
Tara

imelectric said...

Mazel tov! I love the line "the second whitest black baby I have ever seen" and "if I hadn't pushed him out myself".

So happy for you guys and can't wait to meet him.