Friday, June 27, 2008

Tokyo vs. Hong Kong - I just don't know anymore...









I've been traveling to Tokyo for work regularly over the past 10 years or so. For the naive, wide-eyed, 21 year old wanna-be-fashion-designer that I was at the time (some might say I still am), it was completely overwhelming, and I loved it! In fact it still is overwhelming and I still love it for that reason. There are unlimited sources of inspiration everywhere in Tokyo and I find new ones with each visit.



On the flip side, I've been traveling to Hong Kong for work for just as long, if not longer, and until a year or so ago it was nothing more than a city I went to in order to work really long hours and get the job done. Sure, it had mountains of cheap trendy clothes and well made knock offs but it never inpsired me. Then something changed. People started dressing better there, I noticed during one particular trip, and the stores were carrying more original, locally designed clothing that I knew wouldn't become part of my one-time-wear disposable wardrobe (which isn't eco-friendly anyway).



So now I look forward to both trips with equal anticipation, but for very different reasons. Tokyo is a place I visit when I want to feel anonymous, out of place and overwhelmed. Hong Kong has become a home away from home away from home (I'm a native Montrealer / NY-transplant), it allows me to be creative and experimental, but most importantly it understands my point of view.




This may just become the first in a series of posts about my take on each city, but I promise the rest will be more specific re fashion, food, beauty, travel, etc...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

TSTJames! Loving Tsim Sha Tsui... Anyways, a designer myself, I too have travelled to HK and Tokyo serveral times for work until about 3 years ago when I started travelling less frequently (though still visiting Tokyo for personal trips) and have had the same experiences shopping there... Anyways, I'm going to HK in July for the first time in almost 3 years so I'm glad to hear the shopping has improved! While I love the cheap and trendy buys, I'm excited to see more fantastic local designers. Lemme know if there's anything in particular I should check out...

tstjames said...

hey girl,
yes, loads of suggestions for shopping, eating and sleeping in subsequent posts but I'd be happy to give you a sneak peak...
Check out JNBY since 1984 in TST on Granville Road and then eat anywhere on Knutsford Terrace nearby.

More to come soon,
Txox

tstjames said...

email me at covetthis@gmail.com if you want any more suggestions, happy to share.