Tuesday, May 20, 2008

where the ladies at?


I like movies a lot, and i like trivia about movies and who's in what, and six degrees of Kevin Bacon and all that: but I have to admit I'd be hard pressed to name three female directors.
An article in the LA times today tells me that that's cause there aren't a lot of women greenlighted as directors in Hollywood these days. Of the 250 top grossing movies in 2007, only 6% were directed by women. And that's a decrease from previous years.
There are interesting points made in the article about what kinda of stories women (and women directors) want to tell: but as director Catherine Hardwicke says "I'd love to do a superhero movie."
read the whole depressing story here: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-goldstein20-2008may20,0,5616703.story